Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sister Jessica Powell: Unrest in Ukraine

This Week in the Kiev Ukraine Mission


Although the Church announce the safety of all the missionaries in Ukraine amid the social unrest, Sister Powell shared:

I am living. Not a scratch. Nor fear. Many of you may know more than I do. We have a situation, but doubt not fear not, the Lord is at our side.

Violence broke and we quickly got tucked away in our cute Ukranian apartments. Safe and the soundest. How valiant :)

Here's my honesty: I was scared, but here we are living our lives.

Sister Nielson and I were were on lockdown for three days and there is no one I would rather spend 80+ hours with. We made emergency kits, cleaned our apartment, and most of all STUDIED!

I am grateful for all of your prayers. I know that I am safe. I know that the lord keeps his missionaries safe.


19 Feb 2014
Dear parents and family of Ukraine Kiev missionaries,

As you are undoubtedly aware, protests and violence have reached dramatic levels in downtown Kiev and, to a lesser degree, in other major cities across Ukraine. In consultation with the Area Presidency and Church security I have instructed all missionaries to stay inside their apartments today to assure their safety . All meetings and associated travel arrangements by missionaries have been cancelled. Please be aware that for the time being the center of violence is still localized in downtown Kiev with the other areas of the city remaining very calm.

Missionaries have been instructed to maintain a sufficient supply of food in their apartments and may be instructed to remain inside as long as required. You may rest assured that everything is being done to keep your missionary safe. I am in frequent contact with Church security and the US embassy as well as local leaders to monitor developments across our mission.

If the situation normalizes in the next few days you may expect to get an Email from your missionary on Monday, otherwise I will again send you a message with an update.

Best wishes,

President Klebingat
Ukraine Kiev Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear how this has inspired you!