Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I Though You Were A Missionary . . . What are You Doing on Facebook? (Share with all preparing missionaries!)

Last June, in the "Hastening the Work of Salvation" broadcast, Elder Perry announced that missionaries will now use, "Mormon.org, Facebook, blogs, email, . . . text messages" and other media to progress the work. Elder Perry added, "The Church must adapt to a changing world." Now, we are seeing that promise come to pass as our missionary friend's accounts are becoming active again under the new title of "Elder" or "Sister!" I interviewed several LDS Facebook missionaries to find out exactly what they do on Facebook and what members preparing for missions can do now to get ready. Although the rules are different mission to mission here are some general guidelines I gathered. This article is not the official stance of the Church:
Image From http://universe.byu.edu/tag/missionaries-and-facebook/


Which Missionaries are on Facebook?

Missionaries in Arizona, Utah, and Washington D.C. report that social media for missionaries will be released in three phases and should be world-wide with-in a year.


How often are Missionaries on Facebook?

Daily. Some are required to be on for an hour each day, others, "up to" an hour.


Do Missionaries Set Up a New Account?

"No, we use our existing accounts and spend a lot of time making sure they represent the calling we have. I had to delete old pictures and posts and am now careful to make sure everything I share brings people closer to Christ."

"We keep our old accounts because we are authorized to teach nonmember/less active friends and family back home with our Mission President's permission, and then to help them transition to the physical missionaries in their area."


What are the Rules Facebook Missionaries have to Follow?

"We were authorized to proselyte online, including blogger, and Facebook, we are to use social media, to uplift our area, by working more closely with members, and contact investigators."

"We have been asked to always remember our missionary purpose. We are here to help others, no matter who they are. We also have to make sure our pictures represent what missionaries are called to do. Facebook is meant to hasten the work in our area."

"Your companion always has to be able to see you screen, And has to approve what you post or send before you send it. We are supposed to friend people from our areas to keep in touch while we are in the area and after we leave. The best is that we can check up with them in between lessons."

"It is different mission to mission. We are not allowed to post p-day pictures that do not represent usual missionary activities but my sister in another mission is allowed to."

"We have to be careful to not let it be a huge distraction! Before any session online, we pray and plan just like we are going into a lesson. We have a purpose in the people we contact and what we chat with them about. It is a new challenge but very exciting to see the work hastened!"


What Miracles Have Missionaries on Facebook Seen?

"The greatest blessings, is being able to reach out to so many people with one post. I've been blessed to achieve about 1,500 pages views on my blog in just a few months. I am so excited, as people keep re-posting and re-sharing. It's hard when you don't see responses, or likes, but you know people are reading and sharing. It's incredible, as I have sought the Lord to guide my efforts. He's provided me with new ideas. There has been opposition, mainly an increase of discouragement, of not feeling like I'm accomplishing anything because I"m not pounding on doors all day, but I know the blessings will come."

"I have seen how much I can help everyone no matter how small. Whether it is posting a scripture on someone's wall or tagging people in a picture. Little chats help everyone in some way or another. And I have been able to help my family with their missionary efforts as well."

"A major blessing I have seen is in being able to teach my family. I am the only convert in my family and I have almost all of my sisters and my mom on Facebook. They are coming a long way! I get to teach my sisters that are in Germany on Skype too and that is great. One of them is supper interested in learning about why I live my life the way I do. And she is also looking for a church so this is the perfect time for that. There have just been so many cool experiences."

"One time a woman we were teaching in person said she had seen someone post on their wall that they were looking for a church. She gave us that persons Information and I contacted her and just said "I am a Missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I hear you are interested in learning more about our church" I told her that if she was not interested I would not both her but if she was interested she could ask us what ever she wanted. The door was opened to her is a friendly way! It was so cool!


What Can I Do To Prepare to Use Facebook on my Mission?

Mainly, clean up your Facebook and start doing missionary work online! Also, it is helpful to start monitoring your time on Facebook so that it becomes natural to set time limits and have a purpose. Keep good communication with your non-member/less active friends and family as they are the ones who will be most curious and want to chat with you about what you are doing wherever you are called to serve.

Let Us Know What You Think About Missionaries on Social Media in the Comments!

2 comments:

  1. I am friends with two missionaries online and have been disappointed by their grammar. Both of them continually post without capitalization at the beginning of sentences. They also misspell words and fail to use punctuation. I am no grammarian, but I will not share their posts with my friends who are interested in the gospel because I know what their reaction would be to such poor writing skills. Maybe the missionaries that are being asked to use the internet should go through a basic grammar and spelling class at the MTC while the others are learning a language. I believe it to be just as important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! There will need to be an increase or preparation all around as the work hastens. However, I also believe in the power of the Lord to use the weak things of the world and translate their message to people's hearts by the spirit.

      Delete

We would love to hear how this has inspired you!