Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Sister Lauren Arnold: The Miracle of Loving Members

This Week in the Reno Nevada Mission

We used to visit an old woman named Merna, a less-active.  Last time we went to visit her she was sick and her daughter (a member of another faith) answered the to speak for her mother, who couldn't speak for herself at the time. She told us to go away and not come back, that her mom wasn't interested.  This was baffling because Merna never said anything like this before.  So we didn't see Merna for about 2 or 3 weeks.  

This week we had lunch with a member whose mother was good friends with Merna.  This member actually grew up with Merna's girls and knew the whole family really well.  She told us she had been wanting to visit Merna and asked if she could come with us when we went that afternoon; of course we said YES!  Me and the member went to Merna's house while Sis. White and Sis. Catlett made other visits.  

When we went to her house, the same daughter was out front and greeted the member with a HUGE SMILE, so excited to see her after such a long time!  Immediately she invited us in and asked if I was her daughter! She didn't see my tag.  Once we got in the house I told her I was actually a missionary from the church. At first she was very cold to me but then after talking awhile she realized I was just a normal person and talked with me like anyone else.  

The member was able to catch up with Merna and her daughter and I was able to be reintroduced to their family in a very non-threatening way.  The spirit was so strong as the member testified of the Lord's help through struggles and I was able to share a scripture to supplement.  At the end, Merna grabbed my and said, "Please come back."  I WAS SOOOOO EXCITED!!!      

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear how this has inspired you!